this is a really good song.

Started by Jeremy Blackman, May 17, 2009, 08:16:41 PM

squints

Quote from: KarlJan on April 25, 2011, 01:01:16 PM
This guy is really, really great.

This one is my favorite. Almost makes me cry
Jeffrey Lewis - The Chelsea Hotel Oral Sex Song

And this one is about him being raped by Will Oldham. Need I say more?
Williamsburg Will Oldham Horror

i've been listening to jeff lewis for YEARS. and those are mos def two of his best songs.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

polkablues

I have a tremendous respect for pop songcraft, and this song embodies it.  When melody, lyrics, and instrumentation just click perfectly, and you don't even mind when it gets stuck in your head for two straight days.  Cool video, too.
My house, my rules, my coffee

The Perineum Falcon

The War On Drugs - Baby Missiles

Heard this last night on The World Café and I can't get it out of my head.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

cronopio 2

Quote from: polkablues on June 24, 2011, 06:17:02 PM

I have a tremendous respect for pop songcraft, and this song embodies it.  When melody, lyrics, and instrumentation just click perfectly, and you don't even mind when it gets stuck in your head for two straight days.  Cool video, too.

oh man, i love robyn. well put.  she's what a lot of people think lady gaga is.

Sleepless

This has really grown on me over the past few weeks. Really liking it right now.

Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

squints

Quote from: Sleepless on June 25, 2011, 08:16:30 PM
This has really grown on me over the past few weeks. Really liking it right now.

Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks

man i love this band....well actually...i love the first two tracks on their record which features "Pumped Up Kicks" and.....
Dogboarding

the rest of the album sucks.

EDIT:
Holy shit. I've never played a show where the entire front row is comprised entirely of hot blonde girls.......damn.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

RegularKarate

Quote from: squints on June 27, 2011, 02:32:54 AM
the rest of the album sucks.

Haha... I haven't listened to the album yet, but the minute I heard "Pumped Up Kicks", I was sure the rest of the album sucked.
It's a good song, but it's essentially just "Young Folks" by Peter Bjorn and John.  That album has two good songs and the rest blows.  I feel like some indie bands just want to release one good summer jam then don't really care what happens.

children with angels

tUnE-yArDs - 'Bizness'

Just getting into these guys/this gal. Really digging the album: Dirty Projector-esque experimentalism with deep grooves. Lovely stuff.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Jeremy Blackman

I want to like Tuneyards, but they seem too deliberate and self-aware, and then it doesn't work for me. I think I made the mistake of hearing a couple interviews.

children with angels

I've not seen/read any interviews, but self-awareness and deliberateness are tricky things... I'd imagine that many people would probably say similar things about Everything Everything - a band I know we both like.
"We always do..."

squints

is my favorite TuneYards Song. "Real Live Flesh"

Pretty cool was she does with just her voice and loop pedal.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: children with angels on June 30, 2011, 04:42:42 PM
I've not seen/read any interviews, but self-awareness and deliberateness are tricky things... I'd imagine that many people would probably say similar things about Everything Everything - a band I know we both like.

Yeah... Tuneyards is one of those things that I admire but that still doesn't work for me. It's probably the vocals (more than the self-awareness). I think it bothers me subconsciously that she's emulating some uber-specific cultural (African) vocals, and the actual execution is so forceful (and polarizing) that it could easily go one way or the other.

children with angels

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 30, 2011, 06:12:54 PM
she's emulating some uber-specific cultural (African) vocals

Hm, really? I hadn't heard this (in either sense), but clearly I need to find out more.
"We always do..."

Jeremy Blackman

http://www.sfweekly.com/2011-04-20/music/tune-yards-w-h-o-k-i-l-l-oakland-new-releases-great-american-music-hall-african-music-experimental-pop/

She's thrilled about it, of course, but along the way, the socially conscious Connecticut native has ruminated deeply over every move — from even deciding to concentrate on her art at all, in lieu of, say, becoming a doctor or a pro bono lawyer ("It's something very recent for me to be like, you know what? Forgive yourself, you have to do this"), to allowing herself to exhibit her love for African music: "When I started tUne-yArDs ... I made a decision to forgive myself for what sounds were coming out," she says. "When I give my influences, I give who they really are: I took this yodeling style from Central Africa, and I took this chordal harmonic sense from Hukwe Zawose in Tanzania. It seems like a tightrope walk of sorts, because one could accuse me of political correctness in the same breath as thievery of African musical traditions."

Jeremy Blackman

Alright, I think I'm pinpointing it now.

On "Bizness," for example, particularly when she sings the "don't take my life away" line... She's not from Africa, and she doesn't have an African accent... so why is she putting one on so deliberately? I can buy the style emulation, but to take on even the vowel inflections is annoying. It's the same thing that annoys me about some white pop/R&B singers (e.g. Rebecca Black, Justin Bieber, and many others), who will sing things like "we so excited" with a straight face. Yes, I just compared Merrill Garbus to Rebecca Black... and while I don't think Merrill Garbus is nearly as bad, for me she's on the same spectrum. The fact that she admits as much doesn't make it less annoying.