The Polar Express

Started by MacGuffin, June 02, 2004, 10:28:33 AM

MacGuffin

Teaser Trailer here.

Trailer

Release Date: November 19th, 2004 (wide)

Cast: Tom Hanks (The Conductor), Chris Coppola (Toothless), Eddie Deezen (Know it All), Ed Gale (Elf Lieutenant), Nona Gaye (Holly), Josh Hutcherson (Hero Boy), Michael Jeter (Smokey and Steamer), Hayden McFarland (Lonely Boy, Billy), Connor Matheus (Toothless), Jimmy "Jax" Pinchak (Know-it-All), Julene Renee, Peter Scolari (Lonely Boy), Chantel Valdivieso (Holly)

Director: Robert Zemeckis (Forrest Gump, Cast Away, Contact, Back to the Future, What Lies Beneath)

Screenwriter: Malia Scotch Marmo (Once Around; cowriter of Hook); rewrite by William Broyles (Cast Away; cowriter of Apollo 13, Planet of the Apes, Entrapment and Unfaithful)

Based Upon: The children's book of the same title by Chris Van Allsburg, who also authored the book that inspired Jumanji.

Premise: Believing in Santa Claus isn't easy when all of your friends and family insist he's just make-believe. A boy's faith is rewarded one Christmas Eve when he's awakened by a steam train that pulls up in front of his house and takes him and other children to the North Pole to meet Santa. (Tom Hanks plays the train's conductor).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Finn

Hmmm...doesn't look that interesting to me
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Ghostboy

I don't like the way this looks one bit. You see things in the trailer that you recognize from the book...but they're barely recognizable behind all the pomp and nonsense.

But you know me, I'll see it anyway.

Alethia

wow, the teaser had me alot more excited for it than this fuckin thing

Just Withnail

Anyone catch the Back to the Future III reference?

Alethia

directed by robert zemeckis??

Just Withnail

"I've wanted to do that all my life" -- Ringing the bell in the locomotive.

matt35mm

I think it's kinda funny that Tom Hanks can't help but sounding like Tom Hanks, so all those magical adult characters just end up sounding like Tom Hanks with a high voice or low voice, etc. etc.

coffeebeetle

more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Find Your Magali

Even if it's just his voice, I am overwhelmed with joy at the prospect of Eddie Deezen being in a motion picture, let alone a movie with Tom Hanks!

This makes up for Deezen not being cast as Pvt. Ryan.

Thrindle

Perhaps my favorite children's book ever...  I don't know how I feel about this.   :?
Classic.

picolas

Quote from: ThrindlePerhaps my favorite children's book ever...  I don't know how I feel about this.   :?
it's bad..?

Thrindle

Quote from: pacolisit's bad.
Classic.

El Duderino

Quote from: ThrindlePerhaps my favorite children's book ever

really? where does "where the wild things are" go on your list?
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?