in 25 words or less, to meet Jan Harlan, Christiane Kubrick

Started by Pubrick, October 25, 2005, 09:05:02 PM

Pubrick

this is an offshoot of The SK Archives thread. the exhibition is coming to Melbourne and empire magazine are giving away a trip to the opening of it.

this site has the details: http://www.empireonline.com.au/winprizes_show.php?id=88

Quote from: empireonline entry detailsOnce there you'll get to have some swanky VIP drinks with international guests (including Malcolm McDowell and Stanley Kubrick's wife Christiane Kubrick). You'll also get a tour of the exhibition with Kubrick's long-time collaborator Jan Harlan and exhibition curator Hans-Peter Reichman from the Deutsches Filmmuseum, Frankfurt am Mam.

to win, i just hav to tell them in 25 words or less, what is your favourite Kubrick film, and why?

i'm thinking, if we can't make a winning entry, who can? the conditions say a panel will judge the entries and winners will be based on their opinion, it's not a chance draw. so i'm asking everyone if they like to offer their impressive 25 words or less, or help me find some gems in the Kubrick's Best Film thread.

this is a good one i found on the first page:

Quote from: NewtronThe Shining, keep on watching it until you agree with me.
what kind of blurbs usually win these things? mac u've worked for mags do i have to write a haiku or something? write it in blood? would a physical letter be a better candidate then an email (both accepted entry forms)?
under the paving stones.

matt35mm

It's always lame tug-at-your-heartstrings or life-lesson things that win these contests.  Like: When my daddy died in the 9/11 Twin Towers disaster, A Clockwork Orange taught me to believe in myself again.

Or something like that.

Or maybe they give you bonus points for picking a favorite movie that very few others would pick, like "My favorite Kubrick movie is Spartacus because I'm Spartacus!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ten bucks says the winner is something like that.

Ghostboy

P, you can't win, because then you would have one-upped me! Malcom McDowell wasn't at my tour of the exhibit! But then again, I did eat guacomole next to him in Philadelphia two months later, so I guess it evens out. I'll try to contribute a few of those 25 words, because this exhibit, with those attendees, is the best thing ever and you should just kill yourself if you can't go.

Pubrick

Quote from: matt35mmIt's always lame tug-at-your-heartstrings or life-lesson things that win these contests.  Like: When my daddy died in the 9/11 Twin Towers disaster, A Clockwork Orange taught me to believe in myself again.

Or something like that.
well if that's what it takes. this one by bonz seems to be written in that style..

Quote from: bonanzatazShining was my first Kubrick film. When I was 7, I was extremely afraid of horror movies and wanted to get over that fear, so me and my mom went and rented a whole bunch of horror movies. Shining was at the top of my list. It was, and will always be, my favorite Kubrick.
the trouble is getting it within the word limit. just to clarify it doesn't have to be the shining, as long as it fits the criteria.

Quote from: matt35mmOr maybe they give you bonus points for picking a favorite movie that very few others would pick, like "My favorite Kubrick movie is Spartacus because I'm Spartacus!!!!!!!!!!!!"
haha, these are brilliant, keep em coming.

thanks GB, i'm already gonna be broke from two other trips i have to make along the east coast this summer. winning this would be, if nothing else, a welcome relief on my measly pocket holes. :violin:
under the paving stones.

Fernando

I will say this, if we unite our minds there's a big chance of winning this!!!

I'm serious.

Mac, your input is needed, as well as everyone else's!

Entries close at the end of the month.

Pas

"Stanley Kubrick was the name of the guy who raped me. Spartacus."

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Pubrick

well as i see it there are 3 ways to go about it.
-clever jokey
-heartstring phony
-honest profound

the first two are the easiest so they'd get a lot of that. to say anything meaningful in the word limit is a challenge. here's what i've found that could mean sumthing and not sound lame, taken from bits i've written in various kubrick threads..

Quotethe shining covers all the human mindscape that 2001 sacrificed for heavenly transcendence. 2001 was the greatest thing he did for humanity, but the shining is the greatest thing he did for himself. So the shining.
if i remove the first sentence that one fits nicely.

a clever jokey one i made up:
"Eyes Wide Shut, ever since watching it i made sure to: type in Futura Extra Bold; kiss hookers; lock my doors; avoid long term relationships." (25 words)

a haiku:
eyes wide shut the best
pocketful of cash and card
the good doctor lies
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

no

you got it wrong, it's gotta be: "Well, I don't think "Dr. Strangelove: Or How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb" would fit" but then it exceeds the word length

anyhow, penis tattoo jokes are definitely the way to go here......i'm sure Jan would be proud.

P, I think yours is the one, about 2001 and the Shining.
WWPTAD?

hedwig

Quote from: GamblourP, I think yours is the one, about 2001 and the Shining.

I agree. Use that, it's beautiful.

Reinhold

do it in ONE word!

write all u want and just remove the spaces. duh.

here's one.

Quote from: a losing submission
"I liked 2001: A Space Odyssey because it was beautifully edited.
Thanks for your time.

Ps: I believe you meant 25 words or fewer."
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pubrick

one final submission, pick from one of these:

Spartacus, spartacause.

Full Metal Jacket cos it taught me to love again.

Lolita is my favourite for reasons I should not commit to paper.
under the paving stones.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Pubrick

Lolita is my favourite for reasons I should not commit to paper.

this is pretty damn good
...your excuses are your own...

Ghostboy

I also choose the Lolita one out of that selection, but I think it might be a little too cheeky to win. I personally thing the EWS/futura bold one stands a better chance (even though it's a bit more obscure, as the judges might not be students of typography).

cowboykurtis

Quote from: GhostboyI also choose the Lolita one out of that selection, but I think it might be a little too cheeky to win. I personally thing the EWS/futura bold one stands a better chance (even though it's a bit more obscure, as the judges might not be students of typography).

I don't think the EWS one works - This is not the only Kubrick project to use this Font - It's not unique to the film and it really isn't that insightful. I think the statement is a failed attempt at being clever.

I think the Lolita one is golden - I think there will be few people who choose lolita, which will help it stand out as well.
...your excuses are your own...