Peter "You know, that guy!" Gallagher

Started by Gloria, September 04, 2003, 03:01:39 PM

Gloria

Peter Gallagher is one of the most underrated actors.  He always plays supporting parts that are easily overlooked, but he is a very good actor.  He was great as the "king" of real estate in American Beauty and the brother in While You Were Sleeping. And those are just his more recent films.  I think he deserves a little more credit than what he gets. (Please forgive House on Haunted Hill. I'm sure he didn't mean it.)

SoNowThen

i think he's great as straight man to Bill Murray's goofball in The Man Who Knew Too Little. And also in Short Cuts.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Liked him ever since he played Caesare in "The Idolmaker".

Also great in "The Player" and "Sex, Lies and Videotape".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Find Your Magali

Don't forget Gallagher and Darryl Hannah in "Summer Lovers." ... I bet some guys in their early 30s can remember the exact moment they first caught that flick on cable in the early 80s when nobody else was around. ...

Cecil

he is indeed very good

anyone watch the oc? is it any good?

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

his eyebrows have held him back for years

yet any guy who has a chick warren beaty has fucked to death yell out

" FUCK ME YOUR MAJESTY" Is a pimp in his own way

cine

He's good in underplaying his roles. He really makes the dialogue his own and I like how he does it. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a PTA movie.

But yeah, best eyebrows since Martin Scorsese.

Finn

I was sitting in a theater once and Peter showed up all the screen. The person behind me said, "Who is that guy? Doesn't he always play the bad guy in his movies?".
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Banky

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedhe is indeed very good

anyone watch the oc? is it any good?

yeah, unfortunatley i cant turn away

ProgWRX

-Carlos