Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements

Started by wilder, November 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

wilder

November 5, 2014

Orson Welles' Othello (1952) on blu-ray from Carlotta France, from a new 2K restoration

Othello (1952) - Amazon France

Orson Welles' Macbeth (1948) on blu-ray from Carlotta France, from a new 2K restoration

Macbeth (1948) - Amazon France

wilder

January 13, 2015

Adrian Lyne's Foxes (1980) on blu-ray from Kino

Foxes (1980) - Amazon

jenkins

being enticed by this old school renoir kicker that's $15 now

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/28066/jean-renoir-collectors-edition/

QuoteCharleston Parade (Sur un Air de Charleston) (silent; 20 min. - 1927): A strange sci-fi short adapted by Lestringuez from a story by Andre Cerf. In 2028, Paris is an apocalyptic wasteland. The Eiffel Tower even has a bend in it.

renoir! does anyone know about this set??

polkablues

Very nice, I haven't seen any of those films. Makes me want to dust off my Rules of the Game Criterion.

And holy crap, Jean Renoir directed a b-movie horror spoof in the '50s? Everything I know is wrong.
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilder

Vinegar Syndrome to Launch New Label in 2015
via blu-ray.com

Independent U.S. distributors Vinegar Syndrome announced today that in 2015 they will launch a brand new label called Etiquette Pictures. The new label will be "devoted to the preservation and distribution of unique, offbeat, and significant experimental films, documentaries and independent features, as well as some contemporary work."

Here's Vinegar Syndrome's official announcement:

"In early 2015, the creators of Vinegar Syndrome will be launching Etiquette Pictures, a new home video label. Whereas Vinegar Syndrome is focused on preserving and releasing all forms of exploitation and forgotten weird cinema, Etiquette Pictures will be devoted to the preservation and distribution of unique, offbeat, and significant experimental films, documentaries and independent features, as well as some contemporary works. As with Vinegar Syndrome, the sole condition of the selected titles is that they must have been shot on and restored from film elements.

Among the titles Etiquette Pictures has secured for 2015 are James M. Harris' bizarre adaptation of Sleeping Beauty, SOME CALL IT LOVING, David Burton Morris' Minneapolis shot drama, LOOSE ENDS, and a collection of the short films and features of Jon Moritsugu.

However, Etiquette's debut release will be Lawrence Schiller and L. M. Kit Carson's 1971 documentary masterpiece, THE AMERICAN DREAMER, which chronicles the production of Dennis Hopper's THE LAST MOVIE. Presented in partnership with and with proceeds benefiting The Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, MN, to help further preserve their cinema archive.

While specifics are still being worked out, Etiquette's inaugural release is scheduled for January 2015. Titles will be released initially as limited special-edition Blu-ray/DVD combo packs, exclusively available through the Etiquette Pictures website and select retailers. After the initial run sells out, titles will be re-pressed in a general release version and sold through all major retailers."

wilder

November 17, 2014

Fritz Lang's Spione (1928) from Masters of Cinema

Spione (1928) - Amazon UK

wilder

November 18, 2014

Robert Altman's Come Back to the 5 & Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982) from Olive Films

Come Back to the 5 & Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982) - Amazon

Ravi

Yay, more Altman on Blu-Ray! WB needs to get off their asses and release McCabe and Mrs. Miller already.

Reel

altman must've made something like 50 movies I have no awareness of.

wilder

October 14, 2014

Possessed (1947) from Warner Archive

Possessed (1947) - Amazon

Yankee Doodle Dandee (1942) from Warner Archive

Yankee Doodle Dandee (1942) - Amazon

wilder

December 9, 2014

Alejandro Amenábar's Tesis (1996) on blu-ray from Tanelorn Films

Tesis (1996) - Amazon

While doing a thesis about violence, Ángela finds a snuff video where a girl is tortured until death. Soon she discovers that the girl was a former student in her faculty...

wilder

Arrow Video to Launch North American Office in 2015
via blu-ray.com

British distributors Arrow Video announced today that they will expand its celebrated Arrow Video label into North America early in 2015. Fans will be able to learn all the details of this bold and exciting move, and discover regular updates, through a dedicated crowdfunder campaign which is launched today. (See details here).

Lauded with positive feedback from a loyal fan base for its great success in releasing various acclaimed restorations of cult and horror releases, Arrow Video have in recent years won several prestigious 'Label of the Year' awards by such notable outlets such as broadsheet newspaper The Guardian and Home Cinema Choice Magazine.

By popular demand Arrow Video will launch into North America with a host of cult titles, receiving deluxe treatment in video, audio, supplements and artwork. Launch titles include Tonino Valerii's Spaghetti Western Day of Anger [I Giorni dell'ira, aka Gunlaw] starring genre icons Lee Van Cleef and Giuliano Gemma; Michael Armstrong's bloody and brutal critique of state-funded religious corruption Mark of the Devil in a director-approved release; and the thrillingly bizarro yakuza-samurai-ghost story-horror hybrid from Teruo Ishii, Blind Woman's Curse (1971, also known as Black Cat's Revenge). Future releases include films never-before-released on DVD and/or Blu-ray from European and Japanese cult directors.

wilder

May 12, 2015

Alfred Hitchcock's Jamaica Inn (1939) on blu-ray from Cohen Media Group, from a new 4K restoration

In Cornwall, around 1800, a young woman discovers that she's living near a gang of criminals who arrange shipwrecks for profit.

Restored trailer here

wilder

January 20, 2015

Francois Truffaut's The Bride Wore Black (1968) on blu-ray from Twilight Time

Woody Allen's The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985) on blu-ray from Twilight Time

Peter Yates' Breaking Away (1979) on blu-ray from Twilight Time

February 10, 2015

Woody Allen's Love and Death (1975) on blu-ray from Twilight Time

Bob Fosse's Lenny (1974) on blu-ray from Twilight Time

Andrew L. Stone's Stormy Weather (1943) on blu-ray from Twilight Time

These will be available to pre-order about a month in advance of their release dates through Screen Archives

wilder

November 19, 2014

Andrej Zulawski's Boris Godounov (1989) from Gaumont, with English subtitles

Boris Godounov (1989) - Amazon France