35 SLR lenses on 16 cameras

Started by private witt, January 27, 2009, 08:34:50 PM

private witt

Anybody rig up a 35mm SLR lens onto a 16 or S16 camera?  How much did the converter cost you?  Problems with vinetteing?
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

private witt

No, rilly, don't no one be 'fraid tah tell it, holmes!  Honestly I have no idea how to rig or price such a lens configuration.  Please help me.
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

matt35mm

Believe me, sir, I would tell if you I knew!

for petes sake

Only type of converter I've used was a Letus 35mm Extreme with a Sony EX1: 

http://www.letusdirect.com/cart/letus35-extreme.html

Results looked great, although I ended up with some grain issues and it's tricky to properly backfocus.  Manufacturer said this was because of the prism possibly beign misaligned...not sure if a 16 to 35 adapter might have similar problems.

Suffice to say 35mm make a big difference and are worth the investment.

md

With 35mm adapters you are getting 35mm depth of field but not resolution -- that's a big difference right there. 
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

private witt

How would the lens effect resolution?  Wouldn't that still be determined by the grain of the film?

matt35mm

I believe that is what md means--the resolution is not increased by the lens.

private witt

Ahh, gotcha.  I wonder if there's people out there who actually think that a longer focal length somehow magically crams more information onto the negative?  'Course there's probably plenty of dumbshit things I have misconceptions about too, so I probably shouldn't poke fun.

Ravi

Its not 16mm, but I once shot something with a Brevis and SLR lenses on a Panasonic HVX-200.  One lens, IIRC the 35mm, gave big headaches with vignetting.  They weren't the best lenses, though.  Racking focus during a shot can be difficult with SLR lenses (compared to cine 35mm lenses and a focus puller), and they tend to breathe if you do rack focus.

private witt

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I played around with a 35>HVX200 rig that poorly build, it was essentially a nightmare.  Flipped image, vignetting, lens didn't actually fit properly, ground glass didn't vibrate consistently.  The well made ones range from about $1,500 to $6,000.  Pretty much why I decided t'was better not to fake video as film and just use an ARRI.