Michael Mann

Started by MacGuffin, June 03, 2003, 09:37:53 AM

godardian

Quote from: pookiethecatSee Last of the Mohicans, Soixante.  An excellent and exciting piece of action filmmaking- as well as a ferally erotic romance between Madeleine Stowe and Daniel Day-Lewis.  I think Mann really does a lot with that film and sort of brings his emotions to an orgasmic level that i had never seen before- especially at the conclusion which i won't spoil for you.  i think mann is one of the best filmmakers working today.

You know, the best people all recommend this very highly. I'll have to bump it up higher on my "to-rent" list.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

pookiethecat

godardian, get the hell off your ass and rent this movie.  :-D it's unashamedly romantic and would make a great thing to see with yo' honey.
i wanna lick 'em.

MacGuffin

According to dvdign's Most Anticipated DVDs of 2004:

Heat
Publisher: Warner Home Video
Publication Date: July

The Pitch: Michael Mann's cult classic gets the two-disc treatment.

Why it's Going to Rock: The 2000 issue of Heat earned its share of kudos here at IGN, but when you cram a three hour film on one DVD there isn't room for much extra. This will be a two-disc set, so expect lots and lots of extras. Well, there better be lots and lots of extras.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

that's great. i was just thinking they'd probably be doing that soon.  i held out on recently getting Heat AND Enemy of the State which are both being put out in good editions soon, so my patience will be rewarded.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Myxo

Quote from: MacGuffinAccording to dvdign's Most Anticipated DVDs of 2004:

Heat

Why it's Going to Rock: The 2000 issue of Heat earned its share of kudos here at IGN, but when you cram a three hour film on one DVD there isn't room for much extra. This will be a two-disc set, so expect lots and lots of extras. Well, there better be lots and lots of extras.

Sigh..

I guess that means I've gotta go sell my current copy of Heat just like I did with Memento and dozens of other DVDs I own.

Henry Hill

i decided to sell my copy of HEAT a while back. i figured eventually a better edition would come out. i am pleased to here it's sooner than later. one of the great ensemble casts of the last 20 years. seeing de niro and pacino together on film was just amazing. even though they shared what, one scene together? it was a long time coming. it's an epic in my mind. natalie portman was great too.  8)

jasper_window

Heat

Anyeone know is this is a truism?  For July that is?

Just Withnail

It probably ism't.

Seriously, though, we've seen no cover art, no specs. I'm doubting.

jasper_window

I don't think so either.  I usually go by DavisDVD, and Heat is still listed in the "To Be Announced" catergory for 2004.  Here's to hoping for a nice christmas present.

tpfkabi

Manhunter has been playing on AMC every once in a while.
i have yet to catch all of it though.
interesting editing//jump cuts

Collateral looks very interesting
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Quote from: jasper_window

Heat

Anyeone know is this is a truism?  For July that is?

From DVDAnswers:

Title: Heat SE
Starring: Al Pacino
Released: Early 2005
SRP: Price TBC

Further Details
Sorry folks, it looks like you may have a little while longer to wait for the special edition of Heat. Director Michael Mann recently confirmed that although the disc has been complete for quite some time, Warner isn't planning to release it until early next year. This is likely to coincide with the DVD release of the recent Michael Mann thriller - Collateral, which stars Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx. Extras for Heat have yet to be confirmed, although Mann did state that an hour-long documentary will be included. This is set to feature newly recorded interviews with all the major cast and crew members. A new audio commentary with the director is also likely.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

The bank robbery shootout..

One of THE best tests of a great surround sound system..

I love using that to test stuff.

modage

Mann & DiCaprio Adapting Public Enemies
Source: Variety Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Collateral director Michael Mann and Leonardo DiCaprio will collaborate on a drama about the great crime wave of 1933-34, reports Variety. Universal Pictures has purchased screen rights to Public Enemies, the best-selling book by "Barbarians at the Gate" author Bryan Burrough.

The film will tell the story of how the government's attempt to stop Depression-era criminal legends John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson and Pretty Boy Floyd transformed J. Edgar Hoover's FBI from a powerless agency into the country's first federal police force.

The trade adds that it is unclear yet which role DiCaprio will take, or even which side of the law his character will be on.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Quote from: soixanteJust watched Michael Mann's Thief.  The film was ahead of its time, visually speaking.  Also, the hand of producer Jerry Bruckheimer was evident, from the visual gloss and intricate details of high-tech criminal tools.  In 1981, few films had this sort of look, along with the synth Tangerine Dream score (Risky Business used Tangerine Dream for its score).  Pretty impressive for a first film.  Caan was great, as was Willie Nelson (not just playing himself, he was convincing as a convict).  All in all, a nice 80's flashback.
i just watched Thief for the first time and although james caan was interesting/good, (his accent was a little THICK), and the story was interesting enough to keep you watching, it was one you've seen 1000 times before.  the score was funny/ridiculous/dated.  the ending was sort of cool in a man on fire kind of way.  the transfer was horrible on the MGM 'special edition', like muddy as hell and the blacks were terrible looking.  it was watchable, but not buyable, so unless youre really curious/huge mann fan, this is NOT RECOMMENDED.

RegularKarate

Quote from: themodernage02
i just watched Thief for the first time ... this is NOT RECOMMENDED.